Update: Sheriff Joe will not run for Governor, he is keeping his Sheriff badge and enforcing our new law..maybe the 5th time will be the charm…
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced that he will not run for governor, once again ending Arizona’s election-year tradition of the sheriff flirting with the state’s highest office….
…“I am humbled by the encouragement and outpouring of support for me to run for governor. However, at the same time, so many people have supported my campaign for reelection that I do not want to betray them by running for another office,” Arpaio said in a press statement. “I have come so far and accomplished so much in the past 18 years as sheriff that to leave now just doesn’t make sense.”…
Update: Gutierrez (D-IL) asks Obama to ‘intervene’; Kyl & McCain call for 3k Nat’l Guard troops at border; AZ Illegal Immigration enforcement bill goes to Gov Brewer for signature by Sunday to enact…
Update: Oh look Luis Gutierrez (d-il) is pulling Obama’s chain again on immigration, Is it gonna be Kerry and Cap and Tax or Gutierrez and immigration this May? and with Grahamnesty on both!? This will hurt MACs campaign… tick-tock..
Hispanic lawmakers want President Barack Obama to intervene if Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer doesn’t veto a sweeping illegal immigration bill that would require police to stop anyone suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
“The governor of Arizona should veto the bill, and if she doesn’t the president of the United States, Barack Obama, should assert the federal government’s preeminent role in regulating and enforcing our nation’s immigration law,” Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.), said Tuesday.
A senior administration official said the White House was studying the bill….
Update: Video added
Update: Sen Kyl and MAC (in his continuing evolution to ‘tuff’ on illegal immigration) outlined a 10 point plan to secure the southern border yesterday h/t AZ StarNet:
10-step border security action plan unveiled by Sens. John McCain and Jon Kyl:
• Immediately deploy 3,000 National Guard troops along the Arizona-Mexico border and add 3,000 Custom and Border Protection agents to the Arizona-Mexico border by 2015.
• Fund and support Operation Streamline in Arizona’s two Border Patrol sectors to ensure that repeat illegal border crossers go to jail for 15 to 60 days.
• Provide $100 million, an increase of $40 million, for Operation Stonegarden, a program that provides funds to Arizona’s border law enforcement for additional costs related to illegal immigration and drug smuggling.
• Offer hardship-duty pay to Border Patrol agents assigned to rural, high trafficking areas.
• Complete the 700 miles of fencing along the U.S. border with Mexico and construct double- and triple-layer fencing at appropriate locations along the border.
• Increase the 25 mobile surveillance systems and three Predator B aerial drones in place along the Arizona-Mexico border. Send additional fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters to the Arizona-Mexico border.
• Increase funding for vital radio communications and interoperability between agencies.
• Provide funding for additional Border Patrol stations in the Tucson Sector and explore the possibility of an additional Border Patrol sector for Arizona. Create six additional permanent Border Patrol forward operating bases, and provide funding to upgrade the existing bases to include modular buildings, electricity and potable water. Complete construction of the planned permanent checkpoint in Arizona. Deploy additional temporary roving checkpoints.
• Require the federal government to fully reimburse state and local governments for the costs of incarcerating criminal aliens.
• Place one full-time federal magistrate in Cochise County and provide full funding for and authorization of the Southwest Border Prosecution Initiative to reimburse state, county, tribal, and municipal governments for costs associated with the prosecution and pretrial detention of federally-initiated criminal cases declined by local offices of the U.S. attorneys.
Senate gave the final approval to some changes and the bill is now with the Governor waiting for signature. I sent her an email asking her to sign it and letting her know that hubby and I although lifelong Dems support this bill. Never hurts to let a pol who is running for office know they have bipartisan support on an issue! Hopefully she will sign it.
The question of whether police will be required to ask people if they are in this country legally is now in the hands of Gov. Jan Brewer.On a 17-11 margin Monday, the state Senate gave final approval to a package of changes in state law that proponents say will help crack down on illegal immigration. Sen. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, the architect of the plan, said state action is necessary because of the political failure in Washington to secure the border.
While some changes are minor, like making it a crime to stop in traffic to solicit a day laborer, the heart of the bill is aimed at what Pearce said is “removing the handcuffs” from local police.
To that end, SB 1070 would overrule any policy or procedure of a city council or police department that keeps officers from enforcing federal immigration laws. It also says that, when practicable, police must inquire about the immigration status of those they encounter as part of their regular activities.
And to ensure compliance, the legislation permits anyone who believes police aren’t doing all they should to file suit, with judges required to impose fines of up to $5,000 a day if the citizen suit succeeds.
It also lets police arrest illegal immigrants and charge them with the state crime of not carrying their visas or resident alien documents issued by the U.S. government….
– Prohibits any government agency or official from restricting enforcement of immigration laws “to less than the full extent permitted by federal law.”
– In situations where “reasonable suspicion exists” someone is in this country illegally, “a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person” except if it would hinder or obstruct an investigation.
– Says police “may not solely consider race, color or national origin.”
Back in the saddle again: AZ Illegal Immigration enforcement bill passes legislature, to Gov. Brewer for signature…
We covered this legislation when it passed the State Senate here. It has now passed the state House and goes to Brewer to sign.
We have covered the Obama rollback of Sheriff Joe’s 287G enforcement authorities here.
This legislation helps restore and clarify that Sheriff Joe is indeed carrying out the laws of Arizona when he is enforcing illegal immigration violations.
WSJ has it:
Arizona lawmakers on Tuesday passed one of the toughest pieces of immigration-enforcement legislation in the country, which would make it a violation of state law to be in the U.S. without proper documentation.
It would also grant police the power to stop and verify the immigration status of anyone they suspect of being illegal.
…Under the measure, passed Tuesday by Arizona’s lower house, after being passed earlier by the state Senate, foreign nationals are required to carry proof of legal residency….
…The bill is different from an earlier version, giving protections for church and community organizations from criminal prosecution for transporting or harboring illegal immigrants.
In a statement, Tuesday Rep. John Kavanagh (R-Fountain Hills) called the measure “a comprehensive immigration enforcement bill that addresses the concerns of our communities, constituents and colleagues.”
“This updated version gives our local police officers the tools they need to combat illegal immigration, while protecting the civil rights of citizens and legal residents.”…
…The bill in some ways toughens up a situation that the Obama administration had tried to roll back. Under a program known as 287g, some local law enforcement agencies were trained to enforce federal immigration laws by checking suspects’ immigration status.
Mr. Arpaio, the Maricopa county sheriff, had been one of the most aggressive enforcers of 287g. However, the Obama administration in recent months has sought to scale back that program, and had reduced the resources it made available to Mr. Arpaio’s office and others.
Sheriff Joe can get comfy being back in the saddle again enforcing the law…
Update 4: we did it! with DeMint’s moneybomb and the stimulus moneybomb we passed the target! From the Rubio Campaign:
This week, we marked the first anniversary of the Crist-Obama stimulus rally by achieving our goal of raising $1,000 for every $1 billion wasted by the stimulus plan. With your help and the support of Sen. Jim DeMint’s Senate Conservatives Fund, we raised more than $860,000 in just 10 days from 11,000 donors through the Stimulus Bomb. Together, we sent big government proponents like President Obama and Governor Crist a message that we cannot continue spending money we don’t have and that a return to limited government principles is what will make America strong and prosperous. With the primary still 6 months away, now more than ever we must promote conservative values and endure in our efforts.
In Case You Missed It:
- Charlie Crist has repeatedly declined requests from Marco for a debate of the issues and ideas most important to Floridians. This week, FOX News tried their luck by inviting both Marco and Crist to participate in a nationally televised debate on March 28th. Marco immediately accepted, while Crist remains undecided.
- On Wednesday, FreedomWorks PAC marked the one year anniversary of the Crist-Obama rally with their own rally, which featured Marco. You can watch a short excerpt of his speech here.
- This week, we also launched a new text messaging campaign. Don’t forget to sign up for updates on your mobile phone by texting MARCO to 69467.
Update 3: 2/11- Results of the moneybomb to be released at noon EST today!
Update: 9:21pm EST: WooHoo, we are almost there! $708k so far!!!! Sheer awesomeness!
Update: 9:50am EST: I had a hard time getting through to make my donation, a great sign! Everyone please give what you can!
Today’s the day! Please try to find some cha-ching for Marco, every bit counts. My $7.87 may not be much, but if enough Americans pitch in we can make a difference!
Courtesy of MarcoRubio:
With the February 10th anniversary of the Crist-Obama stimulus rally coming up, Marco launches a Stimulus Fundraising Bomb with a goal of raising $787,000 – $1000 for every $1 billion wasted on the stimulus. Learn more at www.StimulusBomb.com
Marco spoke at the 2010 Freedom Forum in January:
And hey! It’s Time to Start the Countdown!
First a reminder:
And ACORN and Rev Al have of course tried to muscle in on the action, and have ignored the community residents, black, white, brown, ‘red’, ‘yellow’, Hexx all of us have asked these people to leave us alone, we do not think we have a racial profiling issue of any kind…. I think this Obama Justice Dept is INCREDIBLY POLITICIZED wth else can you call all these unsubstantiated investigations yet the dismissal of the NBPP voter intimidation case?! I call BS.
Courtesy of DanAmato
From PeterSchiff Channel:
Harper’s Guide to Expatriation, funny to some, essential reading for others!
My Irish American eyes are smiling. 20,000 seemed such a low low number of visas, the cap has now been lifted
May we reciprocate so our college graduates may go to Ireland for work? I read recently Ireland was trying to encourage Irish American immigration, MiM will follow up….
Update 2: Acting Secretary of Labor Appointed as Solis Nomination In Limbo…EFCA Rally at the Capitol
Update 2: 7:09pm EST: An interim Secretary has been appointed. That can’t be good news for Solis.
The WH made a statement in support of Solis today indicating her failure to notify the House as required of her lobbying role, was an oversight and not an ethical violation..good luck with that one as we head into the Battle Over EFCA/Card Check…
Ambinder has it:
Amid threats of a Republican hold on Labor Secretary nominee Hilda Solis, President Obama has asked a top department official to serve as Acting Labor Secretary until she’s confirmed. Edward Hugler, currently the deputy assistant secretary for administration, has spent more than 30 years in a variety of functions in the department.
Solis’s fate is unclear. Her status as treasurer of the pro-EFCA American Rights at Work (ARW) is what’s causing concern…
Rep. George Miller (D- CA), is speaking at a rally supporting Card Check in the Capitol as we type….no word yet on a confirmation vote for Solis….
From the AFL-CIO: